TITLE 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS
CHAPTER 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS
Sec. 1.001. PURPOSE OF CODE. (a) This code is enacted as a part of the state's continuing statutory revision program, begun by the Texas Legislative Council in 1963 as directed by the legislature in Chapter 448, Acts of the 58th Legislature, Regular Session, 1963 (Article 5429b-1, Vernon's Texas Civil Statutes). The program contemplates a topic-by-topic revision of the state's general and permanent statute law without substantive change.
(b) Consistent with the objectives of the statutory revision program, the purpose of this code is to make the agriculture law more accessible and understandable, by:
(1) rearranging the statutes into a more logical order;
(2) employing a format and numbering system designed to facilitate citation of the law and to accommodate future expansion of the law;
(3) eliminating repealed, duplicative, unconstitutional, expired, executed, and other ineffective provisions; and
(4) restating the law in modern American English to the greatest extent possible.
Acts 1981, 67th Leg., p. 1015, ch. 388, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1981.
Sec. 1.002. CONSTRUCTION OF CODE. The Code Construction Act (Chapter 311, Government Code) applies to the construction of each provision in this code, except as otherwise expressly provided by this code.
Acts 1981, 67th Leg., p. 1015, ch. 388, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1981. Amended by Acts 1985, 69th Leg., ch. 479, Sec. 66, eff. Sept. 1, 1985.
Sec. 1.003. DEFINITIONS. In this code:
(1) "Commissioner" means the commissioner of agriculture.
(2) "Department" means the Department of Agriculture.
(3) "Livestock" means cattle, horses, mules, asses, sheep, goats, llamas, alpacas, exotic livestock, including elk and elk hybrids, and hogs, unless otherwise defined.
Acts 1981, 67th Leg., p. 1015, ch. 388, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1981. Amended by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 604, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.
Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1094 (H.B. 3300), Sec. 1, eff. June 15, 2007.
Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 165 (H.B. 375), Sec. 1, eff. May 27, 2009.