TITLE 7. LIFE INSURANCE AND ANNUITIES
SUBTITLE B. GROUP LIFE INSURANCE
CHAPTER 1132. NOTICE OF RATE INCREASE FOR GROUP LIFE INSURANCE
Sec. 1132.001. NOTICE OF RATE INCREASE. (a) In this section, "insurer" means:
(1) a life insurance company;
(2) an accident insurance company;
(3) a general casualty insurance company;
(4) a mutual life insurance company;
(5) a mutual or natural premium life insurance company;
(6) a fraternal benefit society; or
(7) a local mutual aid association.
(b) Not later than the 61st day before the date on which a premium rate increase takes effect on a group policy of life insurance delivered or issued for delivery in this state by an insurer, the insurer shall give written notice to the policyholder of:
(1) the amount of the increase; and
(2) the date on which the increase is to take effect.
(c) An insurer that issues a group policy described by Subsection (b) to a multiple employer trust shall give the notice required by that subsection to the trustee or group policyholder.
(d) The notice required by this section must be based on coverage in effect on the date of the notice.
(e) This section may not be construed to prevent an insurer, at the request of a policyholder, from negotiating a change in benefits or rates after delivery of the notice required by this section.
(f) An insurer may not require a policyholder or trustee entitled to notice under this section to respond to the insurer to renew the policy or take other action relating to the renewal or extension of the policy before the 45th day after the date the notice described by Subsection (b) is given.
Added by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1419, Sec. 2, eff. June 1, 2003. Amended by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 222, Sec. 2, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.