TITLE 3. HEALTH PROFESSIONS
SUBTITLE J. PHARMACY AND PHARMACISTS
CHAPTER 561. RENEWAL OF PHARMACY LICENSE
Sec. 561.001. EXPIRATION OF LICENSE. (a) A pharmacy license expires May 31 of each year.
(b) The board may adopt a system under which pharmacy licenses expire on various dates during the year or every other year, as appropriate.
(c) If the board changes the expiration date of a license, the board shall prorate the license renewal fee to cover the number of months for which the license is valid for the year in which the date is changed. The total license renewal fee is due on the new expiration date.
Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 388, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1999. Amended by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1420, Sec. 14.307(a), eff. Sept. 1, 2001.
Sec. 561.002. PHARMACY LICENSE RENEWAL. A pharmacy license must be renewed annually or biennially as determined by the board.
Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 388, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1999. Amended by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1420, Sec. 14.306(b), eff. Sept. 1, 2001.
The following section was amended by the 86th Legislature. Pending publication of the current statutes, see H.B. 2847 and S.B. 683, 86th Legislature, Regular Session, for amendments affecting the following section.
Sec. 561.003. REQUIREMENTS FOR RENEWAL. (a) The board by rule shall establish:
(1) procedures to be followed for renewal of a pharmacy license;
(2) the fees to be paid for renewal of a pharmacy license; and
(3) the standards in each classification that each pharmacy and the pharmacy's employees involved in the practice of pharmacy must meet to qualify for relicensing as a pharmacy.
(b) A pharmacy license may be renewed by:
(1) payment of a renewal fee set by the board; and
(2) filing with the board a completed application for a license renewal certificate given under oath before the expiration date of the license or license renewal certificate.
(c) A pharmacy whose license has been expired for 90 days or less may renew the expired license by paying to the board a renewal fee that is equal to one and one-half times the normally required renewal fee for the license.
(d) Repealed by Acts 2015, 84th Leg., R.S., Ch. 599 , Sec. 14(1), eff. September 1, 2015.
(e) If a pharmacy's license has been expired for 91 days or more, the pharmacy may not renew the license. The pharmacy may obtain a new license by complying with the requirements and procedures for obtaining an original license.
(f) A pharmacy may not renew a license under this section if the pharmacy's license to operate in another state has been suspended, revoked, canceled, or subject to an action that prohibits the pharmacy from operating in that state.
Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 388, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1999.
Acts 2005, 79th Leg., Ch. 1345 (S.B. 410), Sec. 19, eff. September 1, 2005.
Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 583 (S.B. 869), Sec. 11, eff. June 14, 2013.
Acts 2015, 84th Leg., R.S., Ch. 599 (S.B. 460), Sec. 8, eff. September 1, 2015.
Acts 2015, 84th Leg., R.S., Ch. 599 (S.B. 460), Sec. 14(1), eff. September 1, 2015.
Sec. 561.0031. ADDITIONAL RENEWAL REQUIREMENT FOR CLASS E PHARMACY. (a) In addition to the renewal requirements under Section 561.003, the board shall require that a Class E pharmacy have on file with the board an inspection report issued:
(1) not more than three years before the date the renewal application is received; and
(2) by the pharmacy licensing board in the state of the pharmacy's physical location, except as provided by Subsection (b).
(b) A Class E pharmacy may have on file with the board an inspection report issued by an entity other than the pharmacy licensing board of the state in which the pharmacy is physically located if the requirements of Section 560.052(f) are met.
Added by Acts 2005, 79th Leg., Ch. 1345 (S.B. 410), Sec. 20, eff. September 1, 2005.
Sec. 561.0032. ADDITIONAL RENEWAL REQUIREMENT FOR COMPOUNDING PHARMACY. (a) In addition to the renewal requirements under Section 561.003, a pharmacy that compounds sterile preparations may not renew a pharmacy license unless the pharmacy:
(1) has been inspected as provided by board rule; and
(2) if the pharmacy is located in another state, has reimbursed the board for all expenses, including travel, incurred by the board in inspecting the pharmacy during the term of the expiring license.
(b) The board may accept, as satisfying the inspection requirement in Subsection (a) for a pharmacy located in another state, an inspection report issued by the pharmacy licensing board in the state in which the pharmacy is located if:
(1) the board determines that the other state has comparable standards and regulations applicable to pharmacies, including standards and regulations related to health and safety; and
(2) the pharmacy provides to the board any requested documentation related to the inspection.
Added by Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 608 (S.B. 1100), Sec. 4, eff. September 1, 2013.
Sec. 561.004. ISSUANCE OF LICENSE RENEWAL CERTIFICATE. On timely receipt of a completed application and renewal fee, the board shall issue a license renewal certificate that contains:
(1) the pharmacy license number;
(2) the period for which the license is renewed; and
(3) other information the board determines necessary.
Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 388, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1999.
Sec. 561.005. SUSPENSION OF PHARMACY LICENSE FOR NONRENEWAL. (a) The board shall suspend the license and remove from the register of licensed pharmacies the name of a pharmacy that does not file a completed application and pay the renewal fee on or before the date the license expires.
(b) After review by the board, the board may determine that Subsection (a) does not apply if the license is the subject of a pending investigation or disciplinary action.
Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 388, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1999. Amended by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1254, Sec. 5, eff. Sept. 1, 2001; Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1420, Sec. 14.307(b), eff. Sept. 1, 2001.