TITLE 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS
CHAPTER 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS
Sec. 1.001. PURPOSE OF CODE. (a) This code is enacted as a part of the state's continuing statutory revision program begun by the Texas Legislative Council in 1963 as directed by the legislature in Chapter 448, Acts of the 58th Legislature, Regular Session, 1963 (Article 5429b-1, Vernon's Texas Civil Statutes). The program contemplates a topic-by-topic revision of the state's general and permanent statute law without substantive change.
(b) Consistent with the objectives of the statutory revision program, the purpose of this code is to make the law encompassed by this code more accessible and understandable by:
(1) rearranging the statutes into a more logical order;
(2) employing a format and numbering system designed to facilitate citation of the law and to accommodate future expansion of the law;
(3) eliminating repealed, duplicative, unconstitutional, expired, executed, and other ineffective provisions; and
(4) restating the law in modern American English to the greatest extent possible.
Acts 1983, 68th Leg., p. 3478, ch. 576, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1984.
Sec. 1.002. CONSTRUCTION OF CODE. The Code Construction Act (Chapter 311, Government Code) applies to the construction of each provision in this code, except as otherwise expressly provided by this code.
Acts 1983, 68th Leg., p. 3478, ch. 576, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1984. Amended by Acts 1985, 69th Leg., ch. 479, Sec. 70, eff. Sept. 1, 1985.
Sec. 1.003. INTERNAL REFERENCES. In this code:
(1) a reference to a title, chapter, or section without further identification is a reference to a title, chapter, or section of this code; and
(2) a reference to a subtitle, subchapter, subsection, subdivision, paragraph, or other numbered or lettered unit without further identification is a reference to a unit of the next larger unit of this code in which the reference appears.
Acts 1983, 68th Leg., p. 3479, ch. 576, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1984.